I had a really hard time packing when moving to the UK. When I moved to Toronto, Sarah and I literally had a palette of our stuff shipped from New Brunswick, so finding a home for all of my worldly possessions (read: books and frames) was fairly stressful.
My golden rule for moving was to only bring things that will serve a purpose and meant something to me. My other secret rule was to bring things that would make me feel like home. Of course, a lot of meaningful things got left behind, but here’s a rundown of what has made it across the pond.
- The only frame that made it across is a photo of me and Zach on his first trip to New Brunswick. The plate is plastic, not glass, so I knew it wouldn’t break!
- My camera case that has made it through roadtrips, moves, and big nights out.
- A “Budget London” book that my cousin Melanie gave to me before I left, which has come in handy! Our first “London A-Z” book which has saved us from being lost many times.
- Anais Nin and Chinue Acheba novels from Zach for my birthday.
- Half-Blood Blues christmas present from Sarah.
A small stack of magazines with my name in the masthead (for interview purposes, not for vanity!), and a Spin that Ashley gave me the morning I left Toronto for Ottawa. No name in the masthead on that one, but maybe someday!
My favourite little alarm clock that hasn’t had a battery in it the whole time I’ve had it. It doesn’t need to tell time, it just needs to be around!
- Domestic Sluttery, an amazing going-away present from my great coworkers and favorite online editors, Jess and Savi.
- Patti Smith’s Just Kids from dear Jenny. Being handed this book changed my life.
- Nobody leaves Angela Chase behind.
- Ariel from Moira, for the rainy college-girl days, post-college.
- Coverless Wuthering Heights novel, in case I get lost on the moors here in England.
- Cross-stitched Atwood from Hilary, which has gotten me through some times.
You never know when mania will strike.
To remind me that I have to get a job so I can use this gorgeous planner and even more gorgeous notebooks.
Amazing cupcake nail kit from Karalee. This thing has saved my life.
- Kanye West vinyl pullouts from Corey.
- My birthday present wrapping from Zach.
- Postcard from Danielle and Natasha.
And 1/6th of my former wardrobe, including some lovely jewelry from Traci.
Homesick? Me? Never.
(Miss you, friends and family!)